domingo, 21 de junio de 2009

Leccion 47ª: Phrasal verbs: To Put

Gramática

To put aside (tr.): Ahorrar (especialmente dinero) para un uso posterior

We should start putting aside money to pay an English summer course for our daughter
To put (something) back: Atrasar la fecha de un evento

Next Monday our president will be abroad; we have to put the meeting back
To put (a watch) back / forward : Atrasar / adelantar un reloj

The 31st of October in Europe the watches have to be put back one hour
To put (something) back: Volver a colocar algo en su sitio

My kids never put their toys back; I always have to do it myself
To put down (tr.): Sofocar una rebelión / revuelta

The police put down the demonstration using tear gas
To put down (tr.): Escribir

I could put down the number plate of the car that hit yours
To put down (tr.): Poner en un sitio (lo contrario de pick-up)

I told my kid to put down the old watch but he didn't obey me
To put (something) down to (tr.): Atribuir a algo

He was very listless in the party but I put it down to his tiredness
To put forward (propuesta / idea): Proponer algo para su debate

I put forward a proposal in the last meeting but no one supported it
To put in (tr.): Colocar / instalar una maquina en su sitio

The technician came yesterday to put in the new dishwasher
To put in for ( a job / a post): Solicitar un trabajo

When I finished my studies I put in for a job in a bank
To put (someone) off: Comunicar a alguien que se retrasa una cita con él

I invited him for dinner but had to put him off because I started feeling bad
To put off (an action): Postponerla

We should put off our tennis match; I will be very busy this afternoon
To put on (vestidos, joyas, etc.): Ponerse (lo contrario de take off)

Which dress are you going to put on for this weeding?
To put on (tr.): Poner en marcha un aparato apretando un interruptor

The first thing he does when arrives at home is to put on the TV
To put out (tr.): Apagar una luz / un fuego

Yesterday night you went to bed and forgot to put out the light
To be put out: Enfadar a alguien

I was very put out when she didn't invite me to her party
To put up (edificios, monumentos, etc.): Levantar

We need to put up a fence in the garden to avoid our dog goes out
To put (someone) up to (something): Explicar a alguien cómo hacer algo, normalmente un truco

My granny put my mother up to many of her delicious recipes
To put up with (something): Soportar algo pacientemente

We have to put up with our neighbours; they are really rude

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario